Rich & flavourful, this authentic Japanese matcha green tea ice cream is quite easy to make at home. Mocha green tea ice creams are sweet but then they have an intense mocha flavor that is bitter with hints of sweetness and grassy taste that makes it incredibly delicious. In this refreshing dessert, the bitterness and sweetness complement each other perfectly well. When you first taste the brightly green colored ice-cream, you get a vegetal taste but then it ends on a sweet note that is too good to be missed . And it is due to this unique taste and flavor, that this ice cream is one of the four most common flavors of Japan.
On top, this recipe requires only four ingredients. What’s more do you want???
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
Freezing Time: 3 Hours
Serving Size: 2
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp. Matcha Green Tea Powder
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolk
Method of Preparation:
- For making this delightful ice cream, place milk and heavy cream in a large saucepan and heat it over low heat.
- Now, bring this mixture to a simmer.
- In the meantime, mix the egg yolks and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl or until you get a fluffy pale mixture.
- Next, spoon in the matcha powder to the bowl and combine.
- Once combined, pour the cream-milk mixture to the bowl gradually while whisking it continuously until it becomes smooth.
- After that, strain the mixture into a wide & deep saucepan and heat it over on low heat for 5 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool.
- When it is cooled, keep the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator to chill.
- Then, place the ice cream in the ice-cream machine and follow the instructions given by the ice cream machine manufacturer.
- Finally, when the ice-cream has become thicker, pour it into the freezer-safe, air-tight container. Freeze until set.
- Serve and enjoy.
Tip: Stir the ice cream every two to three hours before it is served first while it is kept for the setting.
Toppings: If you wish, you can top it with red bean paste.
Serve with: You can serve it with Dango. (Dango is a Japanese sweet that is made of glutinous rice flour and sweet soy sauce glaze.)
Substitutions: For the Matcha powder, you don’t need to use the expensive Matcha powder which is used for making tea & drinks, rather you can use the culinary
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 989Kcal
- Fat: 63g
- Carbohydrates: 91g
- Proteins: 16g
This recipe has been written by Nakano. Find out more about Japanese cookware here.
Author: Takahashi Sakura